Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Lord Will Provide a Way

One morning while struggling to get my then three year old daughter ready for church, she looked up at me and stated, “Mom, I don’t want to go and do the things the Lord commands!”  At that moment I could completely relate to my daughter.  There have been times since, that those words, spoken with exasperation, have entered my own thoughts.  Sometimes the things that are asked of us seem hard, or too much.  It is during those times I have to turn to one of the things I truly believe.  I believe the Lord will provide a way for us to accomplish the things that He has asked us to do.
From the time I was young, I learned this concept through song lyrics and scriptures.  “I know the Lord provides a way, He wants me to obey!”  It was not until I was older that I was given opportunities to really test this concept out.  When my husband and I were asked if my youngest brother could come and live with us, we did not know if we were up to the task.  He was frequently bullied and my parents felt like he needed a fresh start somewhere.  We were worried about being able to handle his emotional needs while also raising our own young family.  My brother’s heart was still raw from mistreatment; His sense of self- worth was diminished to nothing.  Through much prayer we realized that the Lord wanted us to take my brother in.
It has been nearly six years since my brother graduated from high school and moved back home. He spent a year and a half living with us.  That time was a blessing to both our family and to him.  My husband and I learned so much from the experience.  The Lord provided us with the abilities and extra love that were needed to care for him.  Our hearts grew as we saw situations and understood more fully what he was going through.  We were able to give our own three children the continued love and support that they needed from us.  My brother’s testimony grew as he was able to share his gospel knowledge with those around him.  He had never lived in an area that was not saturated with people of his faith.  His confidence grew as people were drawn to him and the light that he had.  The Lord provided a way for all of us.
At this time in my life, I am staring again at an experience that seems outside of my abilities.  I can 
feel the internal struggle as my mind yells out, “I don’t want to go and do the things that the Lord 
commands.  I don’t know if I can.”  Then my soul speaks soothingly to me and reminds me of the 
things that I believe, the things that I know; “The Lord will provide a way”.  The blessings will 
certainly come as I need them and I will be shown the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment