Tuesday, July 19, 2016

I Was Sad for Her


I was at the grocery store yesterday morning picking up some donuts and chocolate milk as a special treat. I wanted to surprise my five children and my four nieces and nephews that were visiting us for the weekend. We don't get to see cousins very often. We don't live close to family on my side or my husband's side. It is always a treat when we get to have family visit.

While sitting at the checkout counter thinking about the kids' smiles when they saw the donuts, I overheard two of the store employees talking. The younger of the two was recently married and was telling the other lady that she and her new husband did not want to have children. My heart immediately hurt for this young woman. Literally, my heart ached.

Raising my children is the most challenging thing that I have ever done and will ever do in my life. I can't even begin to know what lies ahead of us in the next 15 to 20 years of their lives. However, I will never regret bringing these children into the world and into my life. Because of my children I know how to serve with complete love. I have more patience and compassion. It is a blessing that I can't always be thinking about myself. I must take care of the needs of the five people that depend on me.

It is a blessing to see my children succeed. It is amazing to watch them overcome challenges. They make me a better person, truly. I pray for them, I cry for and with them. I have been extremely frustrated with each one of them. There have been times I have hid in my room with the door locked and wondered how I could continue on. I always do, because I have to. They need me.

I am extremely aware that there are those people who are unable to have children themselves. The Lord has a plan for everyone. For those that can have children and choose not to, I am sad for you. You can't even comprehend what you are denying yourselves. I can not describe it to you fully.

In "The Family- A Proclamation to the World", it states,
"THE FIRST COMMANDMENT that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

We live in a day and age where people are way too concerned about "self". Too much is centered on what "I deserve". If we took half of the time that people thought about themselves and dedicated to serving and loving others, including our children, what an amazing world this would be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment